Endangered animals or species are the animals very likely to become extinct in the close near future and it could be extinct either worldwide or in a particular political jurisdiction, these endangered animals could be in risk due to many factors such as habitat loss, poaching or invasive species.
The international union of conservation of nature which is an international organization that does work in in fields of nature conservation and sustainable use of the natural resources, this union did red list the global conservation status of many animals and various other agencies assess the status of animals within particular areas.
Many nations do have laws to protect conservation reliant animals such as forbidding hunting and creating protecting areas, as some of the endangered animals are the top target for extensive conservation efforts such as habitat restoration or captive breeding.
The animals indicate that it will become extinct according to the conservation status of these animals, we do consider many factors when assessing the status of a species such as the total all of the increasement or decrease in the population over the time or known threats.
The international union for conservation of nature red list of threatened animals is the best-known conservation status listing system all over the world.
The united states of America’s data shows a correlation between human population and endangered animals ,by using the endangered animals data from the data base on the economics and management of endangered species (DEMES) database and the period of the endangered species act (ESA) (1970-1997) , a table was created that does suggest a positive relationship between the human activity and species endangerment.
Animals are classified as endangered when their population have declined from 50 to 70 percent, and this percent is measured over 10 years or three generation whichever is longer, the animals also are classified as endangered when their population has declined 70 percent for a known cause or 50 percent for unknown cause.
Endangered animals occur in less than 1930 miles and occupy less than 193 square miles.
Animals also are also classified as endangered when they are less than 2500 mature individuals or when their declines by at least 20% within 5 years or 2 generations.
Animals are classified as endangered when their population are restricted to less than 250 mature individuals as when animals population are this low their areas of occupancy is not considered, animals are also endangered when their extinction in the wild is at least 20% within 20 years or 5 generations. Below are some endangered animals:
- Siberian sturgeon; it is a large fish which is found in rivers and lakes in Russia and it does live at the bottom of a body water, it is classified as endangered as it its population declined from 50 to 80 percent during last 60 years.
- Tahiti Reed-warbler; it is a sing bird which is found on the pacific island of Tahiti, it is endangered because it has a small population and both its extent and area of occupancy are small.
- Bolivian Chinchilla Rat; it is a rodent found in a small area of the Santa Cruz region of Bolivia and it is endangered because its extent of occurrence is less than 39 square miles.
- Transcaucasian Racerunner; it is a lizard which is found in Armenian Plateau and it is endangered because its population decline is more than 80% during last ten years.
- Scimitar horned Oryx; it is an antelope with long horns and it is classified as endangered because the last confirmed sighting of one was in 1988, they are now kept protected in many zoos.
- Black Soft-shell Turtle; it is a fresh water turtle that does exist only in one man-made pond near Chittagong (Bangladesh) and it is less than 300 turtles.
- Giant Panda and Giant Panda; it is endangered because there are less than 2500 individuals.
- Panthera Tigris; it is one of the six subspecies of tiger and it is endangered because there are less than 4000 left.
- Wooping crane (grus americana); it is endangered because there are less than 16 left and it is between Alberta, Canada and texus.
- Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus); it is the largest animal in the world located in all of the world’s oceans and it is endangered because there are less than 25000 blue whale and its population have been reduced more than 90%.
- Asian Elephant; it does inhabit 13 countries and it is endangered because there are less than 50,000 left.
These are some of the endangered animals that is found in all over the world and human should do their best to try to protect them from extinction.