How to Avoid Psychological Effects
Mental health is our emotional ,psychological and social well being, it affects how we think, feel and act as we cope with life, it does determine how we handle stress , make choices and how we do relate to others.Mental health is very important at every stage of our life starting from childhood up to aging.
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior, according to the American Psychological Association. Psychology is a multifaceted discipline and includes many sub-fields of study such areas as human development, sports, health, clinical, social behavior and cognitive processes. The four main goals of psychology are to describe, explain, predict and change the behavior and mental processes of others.
Psychological effect is pertaining to ,dealing with, or affecting the mind, especially as a function of awareness, feeling or motivation.
Some of psychological effects that do effects our brain and behavior; fear of beauty (some people feel tension next to beautiful people fear of comparison), Survivorship bias (judging on a situation by successful people only which does mean judging from one side of the situation), Body negative ( the personal life of this person does fail because he thinks he is ugly), The Kuleshov Effect ( means after seeing two unrelated frames by a viewer unconsciously makes up a logical connection of them ),The Pratfall Effect ( thinking that perfection will not increase likability), The Pygmalion Effect ( more expectations lead to more performance), The Paradox of choice ( liking less choices as more choices leads to losing desire of the content with our decision), these are some examples of the psychological effects.
Psychological effects may lead to a mental health problem as when it comes to your emotions ,we can’t differentiate between what is normal and what is not , some of signs that warns to a mental health problem; change in eating habits , change in sleeping habits, less energy, unexpected pains, confuse of feelings, moody relationships , harming yourself thoughts , can’t perform daily tasks,…..ect.
There are certain factors that may increase the psychological effects and leads to a mental illness, including:
- A family mental illness history; a blood relative such as a parent or sibling that did has a mental illness.
- Stressful lifestyle; facing a stressful life such as financial problems ,losing a loved one.
- Medical conditions; an ongoing medical condition such as diabetes.
- Traumatic brain injury; which does mean a brain damage due to serious injury such as a violent below to the head.
- Traumatic experiences such as assault.
- Alcohol or drugs.
- A bad childhood history; such as abuse.
- Can’t make a healthy and successful relationship.
- Previous mental illness .
In Fact ,there is no guaranteed way to avoid psychological effects. However, if you think the psychological effects did lead you to a mental illness ,there will be steps and procedures you have to do to control stress and boost low self esteem to keep symptoms under control, these steps are :
- Recognize any warning signs; work with a therapist to know what might trigger your symptoms. Making plans in case of symptoms does change or changing in your feelings, you may involve a close person to assist you in watching the symptoms.
- Trying a routine medical care; avoid missing or skipping visits and checkup to your primary care provider ,especially in case of not feeling well as it may be a sign for a new health problem that does need to be treated or you do may be experiencing a medication’s side effects.
- Ask for help when needed; if you didn’t get immediate help and waited until the symptoms get bad the mental health conditions will be much harder , you can also use a long term maintenance treatment to help in avoiding relapse of symptoms.
- Take care of your own self; try to get sufficient sleep, try to get a healthy food , it is also important to use regular physical activities , try to take regular schedules, contacting your primary care provider if any sleeping troubles did occur or if you do want to ask about diet and physical activity.