Medical Malpractice Definition
“When a doctor cannot do good, he must be kept from harming.”
If your loved one is in hospital and going through with the tough time of his life, then he has the right and deserves proper care from the hospital. After all, you are paying for this and you deserve proper care, respect and medical treatment without any negligence. If you are going through with situation like this then it is a severe thing and you can file a complaint against your hospital or any specific doctor. Specifically, this situation is called medical malpractice. If you are confused by hearing this name for the first time, then do not worry we are here to give you all-important detail related to this.
Medical Malpractice Definition
“In selling as in medicine, prescription before diagnosis is malpractice.”
Medical malpractice is the name of a special situation, it occurs when your doctor, hospital, or any other medical center indulges in any unprofessionalism and negligence which later causes the harm or injury to a patient’s health. This negligence could of different types, this can happen in diagnose, treatment, hospital care or in health management. All these situations are called medical malpractice, if anything like this happens to you or with your loved ones then you have the right to go the court against that doctor or medical center.
Medical Malpractice situation in USA
The situation of medical malpractice in the USA is very alarming and worse, it is the third leading cause of deaths in the USA after heart diseases and cancer. According to the statistics of 2012, over 3 billion dollars has been paid as the medical malpractice payouts. The average of these payouts is one every 45 minutes. Isn’t it alarming? But the question is how we can protect us from any situation like this, or what actions can we take to avoid a situation like these and what are our rights? There are plenty of questions about this. We are going to answer all these questions step by step.
How we can avoid a situation like this?
If you are proactive for your medical health and you have basic knowledge about your health, then you can avoid a situation like this. For this, you will have to read your body thoroughly and you need to inquire about the basic medical requirements of your body.
- At first, point, if you go to the doctor then you need to prepare the list of all those questions that you are going to ask your doctor related to your medical condition and health. In this way, you will have all the knowledge related to your health and you can understand your body situation in a better way. You can ask some technical questions if you have vast knowledge about medicines.
- You should be overprotective related to your health and if you feel something wrong or sense anything is going to happen when you talk to the authorities. You can show some concern related to your health; it is totally fine.
- You can go along with your friend, family member who does care for you and has some basic knowledge about medical situations. It is a better idea to avoid any bad experience.
Examples of Medical Malpractice
There are following some common examples of medical malpractice;
- Failure to diagnose
- By ignoring severe laboratories results
- Unnecessary surgery
- Surgical errors or mistakes
- Improper medicine dosage
- Premature discharge
- Failed to read symptoms
- Failure to give proper care
You can find a lawsuit against the hospital or doctor if anything like above happens to you on the premises of the hospital and that negligence caused you any harm, damage or injury.